Extended Warranty

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leousa

The dealership where I bought my 2014 B-Class pushed me to buy extended warranty for 4K extra.
Planning to return it since out state want me to pay extra tax on it ($280).
Since the battery is covered till 100k anyway I was wondering if I really need it?
Standard coverage is 3years/50k. What else can break big on this car?
Did someone with over 50k miles already had any serious problems?

Leo,

I leased mine as I was unsure about battery warranty. If I had gone the ownership route, I would have bought an extended warranty as I did for my wife's 2006 wagon on the assumption of 10 years ownership. Every time I had something done in the dealer, it was a $2K hit. So depending on what the warranty covered, you get your money back over time. As to your question, the list of repairs include replace rims, bad sensors, electronics spazzing out after jump start, brakes, the struts, etc. I drive in the city with a lot of potholes. Car only has 60K miles. I am talking about the gas 2006 wagon, not the Be. Most happened of course after my extended warranty expired! Also, check the labor rates at your dealer and you can calculate how many hours to recoup $2K figuring rest is parts.

Thanks Jeff,

I had a Subaru before that I drove till 100k miles and then sold. Original warranty was covering 36k miles only, and all problems with the car showed up in the first 20k miles. Than nothing. Just the routine maintenance.

Not sure how MB is reliable in this scenario. Are the troubles coming in the first 50k or after? I've heard that MB have weak electronics (sensors and other staff like you've mention).

I am of the belief that with new cars having more electronics, the likelihood of a fault INCREASES with age vs. the past when it was largely mechanical and then wholesale replacement of parts after 10 years or 100,000 miles. So I don't mind prepaying at today's rates for repairs tomorrow. In my case, it has converted me from a car buyer who likes to keep low mileage cars for 10 years to considering a lease going forward so long as there is a deal to reduce the walk out the door value drop.

Back