MB Extended Warranty coverage/exclusions for electrics

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemgod

Hi all,

I recently bought a used low-mileage 2016 b250e in great shape and Carfax indicated all the yearly battery checks were up-to-date. After reading up on how expensive it would be to replace the electric motor and charger components I decided to purchase an MB extended warranty (extra 3 years and up to 75,000 miles). However after reading the warranty agreement I realize it's written almost entirely for ICE cars. There is even this exclusion section:

6.14. ELECTRIC-DRIVE VEHICLES: Maintenance, service, and
replacements of/to the Vehicle’s lithium ion battery or electric
powertrain, or any components thereof, are not covered by this
Agreement.

This sounds like they could decide to not cover almost all the unique components of the b250e. After reading this I'm thinking of getting a refund for the warranty. Has anyone else purchased the MB Extended Warranty and actually read the agreement? Anyone have experience getting repairs to the b250e under the extended warranty? Can't believe they could actually sell me a warranty with all these exclusions!

Any advice/experience is appreciated.

chemgod,

Yes, was aware of this having read posts by other members. That is why it is important to buy a used B250e with remaining original battery and motor warranty that had its annual battery check. That way, if something did happen during the remaining term of the original warranty that did cover the battery and motor, it could be fixed. After that, sadly, no coverage for these expensive components.

I am contemplating buying my 2017 at the end of my lease term but only if the price is in the low teens. I figure my breakeven is 1.5 years of unprotected risk before I recouped my payment. After that, if it craps out, thems the risk I took. If it does not, then like an ICE car which I typically keep 10+ years or 100K, whichever comes first, I can amortize the purchase cost and have a lower cost vehicle.

Yes, try to get your money refunded as there are fewer mechanical parts with our electrics to break over time.

Get your money back asap. They sold you the wrong warranty as it does not apply to your vehicle. Cite the text you provided here. Avoid the salemen because they will just blow you off. Find out who it the owner of the dealership and go after them. If they stall, mention fraud and legal action.
I found this article with a quick google search:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/10/extended-car-warranty-reasons-cancel-keep-contract/2513072002/
Good Luck!

Hello Chemgod,

I am myself contemplating purchasing a 2017 MB B250e with about 18,000 miles on it. Where did you find cost to replace battery once outside of warranty? That is one thing that is holding me off.

HFeri,

Check the Tesla forums for cost of replacement. No member here has had that horrible experience that I recall.

Check the messages under "Broken B250e " on first page. I have a 2014 and only 14000 miles but bought the standard extended warranty sold through M.B. and it has the paragraph excluding the electronics. However, I had the entire drive unit and battery replaced ( due to internal fault) at no cost to me ( I assume under the warranty ) and the replacement was a 2017 unit, not a 2014 one ( re-manufactured )

Come on people, let's not get hysterical. The above drive unit ( re-manufactured) was approx $10K and with labor and a new bsttery , the total was around 10-12K $$, so my warranty at $1.6K seemed like a hell of a deal. Keep in mind that a M.B. extended warranty is an EXCLUSIONARY warranty and has no visit co=pay and uses M.B. techns. and a loaner car. Just do the math and decide if the gamble is worth it. I also have a similar warranty on my S550 4matic and have only used it once for a small item.......but again the cost here for a repair could be in the thousands even though these cars are almost bullet proof.

Back