In home 240v wiring

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

Question guys. Since I have two cars that can take 10kwh charging, I should probably ditch the 6kwh charger and get the 10. Now here are my options, I can ask to upgrade the wiring from 40A to 50A capable. It would suck given I paid $1500 to install that. Also the 40A runs from my 100A subpanel, which comes from my 200A main panel. On another hand, I can probably run a 50A breaker straight from my 200A subpanel since the installation is directly behind the main panel in the garage. What do you guys think is better? Should I just wire two in there and call it a day?

cossie1600 said:
Question guys. Since I have two cars that can take 10kwh charging, I should probably ditch the 6kwh charger and get the 10. Now here are my options, I can ask to upgrade the wiring from 40A to 50A capable. It would suck given I paid $1500 to install that. Also the 40A runs from my 100A subpanel, which comes from my 200A main panel. On another hand, I can probably run a 50A breaker straight from my 200A subpanel since the installation is directly behind the main panel in the garage. What do you guys think is better? Should I just wire two in there and call it a day?

It is better to be safe than sorry. An EVSE is considered a continuous load so you can only use 80% of the 50A breaker or 40A. A 40A breaker allows 32A. The car will respect the EVSE limits so a 30A EVSE will work with the car it is just 25% slower.

When I upgraded to 50A I pulled two #6 hots. #8 is fine for the ground and neutral. It also caused me to upgrade my 100A panel but that is another story. I charge my B at 40A with an OpenEVSE EVSE.

I would look at the wiring your current set up. There is a small chance the electrician used 6 gauge wire. (marked 6 AWG). If so you would just need to change the circuit breaker and the plug (assuming the charger is not hard wired.) for an upgrade.

If not, just do what is most economical. A shorter run from the main box will have less loss in the cable, so this is probably the best option if you can't use the existing wiring. This would also likely be the most economical if you really need 2 chargers.

At some point we will have 2 electric cars but my plan was never to charge both at the same time. With 10KW I don't think the need will ever be there for me as we can just alternate, so I located the charger where it will reach both slots in the garage. Everyone's situation is different but you may want to consider this option.

That's what I am thinking. I forgot what gauge wire I have in there, but its definitely the smaller one where I really should only use it to run 40A breaker. Rather than replacing that, I might as well put one off the 200A main where it sits directly behind it inside the garage on the other parking spot. I have multiple EV cars anyway, can't hurt to have it.

Angieslist has a $249 special to install one, not sure if I should trust that...

Depending on additional loads on your garage subpannel (electric dryer?, supply to bathroom sockets or AC?), you may want to consider installing a second 40A double circuit breaker, run the corresponding #8 wires to a second 32A EVSE, located conveniently closer to your second car, and you can charge both cars at the same time. All depends on the frequency you are charging, and whether you'd like to charge both cars during the same night and if placement of your new EVSE matters.

If you decide to add a second 40A circuit breaker, I would check the gauge of the supply wires going from your main panel to your subpannel, and confirm the two lives actually support 100A at 240V.

Make sure you get the wiring gauge right for the ampacity required by the new load, whether by adding a second 40A circuit breaker (requires at least #8) or turning your existing oultet into 50A (here you need at least #6 gauge to hook up a new 40A EVSE).

I don't know what other loads you have on your subpannel, but running 2 50A circuits from a 100A subpannel for 2 40A EVSEs could be overkill. Maybe adding a single new 50A circuit for one extra EVSE is a good move? Technology will evolve, and in a few years everybody may just want at least 40A L2 chargers which require a 50A circuit breaker and the associated wiring gauge.

Select the correct wiring gauges, circuit breakers, and turn off electricity before proceeding with any electrical modifications.

cossie1600 said:
That's what I am thinking. I forgot what gauge wire I have in there, but its definitely the smaller one where I really should only use it to run 40A breaker. Rather than replacing that, I might as well put one off the 200A main where it sits directly behind it inside the garage on the other parking spot. I have multiple EV cars anyway, can't hurt to have it.

Angieslist has a $249 special to install one, not sure if I should trust that...

If that includes the permit it is a good deal. #6 wire is two bucks a foot at Home Depot.

I live in Southern California and my panel is on the outside garage wall so it took all of 6 feet to install a 14-50R

I am not sure I trust Angie's List. I have heard horror stories about it for the past several years. I understand it was good in the beginning. Now it is like Craig's List.

Back