Performance in snow

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

First posting on this topic I think. So we got a foot of snow overnight. Yesterday, when it was coming down and maybe four to six inches on the ground I had to drive back from Brooklyn and fetch the kids from school. In between, since I was down to 4 miles, I had to "top up" for 90 minutes at an outdoor charging station. That is another topic.

I drove carefully and did not experience any slipping, sliding or wheel spinning. Ours is a front wheel drive, don't know the weight distribution but likely tilted towards the front even with the battery on the floor. A couple of cars were having problems going up small hills but maybe they did not have 60 day old tires. I did note that the windshield wipers got snow on it so it would not wipe the front entirely clean. The rear wiper is small but gave a view out the back. I had to put the rear defroster on to clear the entire view.

All that being said, if I went out today, I would take out the 4matic wagon. Bigger, safer and likely more sure footed.

Happy snow day to all in the NE.

My experience has been good too in NYC, due to the 3900 lb. weight and low center of gravity. But I do feel the steering gets light on icy sections and with crosswinds, and I've had the B-Class drift a bit on an inclined curved ramp (I was on the accelerator modulating the slide) It was very gradual and controlled. So I look forward to finding a tire with a little more grip on ice/snow without sacrificing range. I am eyeing the Nokian WR A3 runlflat. These can be used year round.

Back