Will Range Package come later?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

The fact that of the many web pages of those who have test driven the MBCED none of them are for vehicles that have the Range Package makes me think that the cars with the Range Package will probably not be for sale initially.

The Optional Equipment Program lists 25-30% for the Range Package. Various web pages of reviewers list 12%, 15% and 17%. Some web pages state that the EPA rating for the Range Package will be 100 miles or 110 miles. Most web pages state that the standard car will have an EPA rating of 85 miles.
112% of 85 = 95 miles
115% of 85 = 98 miles
117% of 85 = 99 miles
125% of 85 = 106 miles
130% of 85 = 111 miles
Which one do you think it will be?
If it is less than 90 miles, I will go with the LEAF again for another 2 years.

Assuming that, as speculated, the range package allows you to charge to 100% rather than 80%, I would expect a range increase of around 15%, depending on how much it affects regen and on the specific driving conditions...

Kelly Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the..._class-electric-drive-first-drive/2000010671/) states that the range package will add 18 miles to the supposed 85 miles without it, a total of 103 miles!. That is a 21% increase.

If that is correct I will probably lease the MBCED for 3 years when my 3-years lease for the 2012 LEAF SL expires on 7 May 2015. The extra 19 miles above the 84 miles of the current LEAF will allow me to travel from Blacksburg to Roanoke VA and back with a few miles in Roanoke without charging in Roanoke.

The main negatives of the MBCED for me are that it has no CHAdeMO plug and no smart key.

Kelly Blue Book list the extended range as adding 18 miles? The MB USA website says it will add 17 miles...

A suite of options to further increase your driving range includes added insulation of the doors and roof for to increase climate-control efficiency, along with an electrically heated windshield and a range-extending charge function. By pressing a button on the console prior to charging, the maximum charge level for battery will increased for the next charge cycle. The higher-capacity charge can provide up to 17 additional miles of range.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/build/class-B/model-BED#tab=tab-performance

I believe you will find that those are optimistic numbers based on optimized and selective driving scenarios using heat, A/C and the like (thus the heated windshield and increased door insulation which is part of the range package) and that the real world increase under more common conditions will be less...

klaus said:
Kelly Blue Book list the extended range as adding 18 miles? The MB USA website says it will add 17 miles...

Since the Range Package is touted as adding 17 miles to the 85-miles range and the "battery size" for the 85-miles range is listed as 28 kWh, the "battery size" for the Range Package would be 28(85+17)/85 = 33.6 kWh =~ 34 kWh. Since, even for the Range Package, there must be a few kWh capacity left when "fully" discharged and a few kWh capacity not used when "fully" charged to keep the battery healthy, it appears that the actual battery capacity is close to the 40 kWh of the RAV4, which was also provided by Tesla.

The Nissan LEAF has a 24-kWh battery but uses only ~21 kWh. If the MBCED similarly reserves 3 kWh, the actual battery capacity would be ~37 kWh.

Given the ~500 lbs larger weight of the MBCED compared to the LEAF, the 28-kWh battery capacity for 85 miles range looks about right compared to the 24-kWh battery capacity for 84 miles range of the LEAF.

I see in the features listed for the MBCED is a Smartkey. Does that mean that the key only has to be in the car to start the car with a push button, or does it only mean that the key opens locks and unlocks doors? I hope the former!

It's a little unclear but it appears that the key must be inserted in the key slot in the vehicle... If so, that is very unfortunate.

roperld said:
I see in the features listed for the MBCED is a Smartkey. Does that mean that the key only has to be in the car to start the car with a push button, or does it only mean that the key opens locks and unlocks doors? I hope the former!

tomt said:
It's a little unclear but it appears that the key must be inserted in the key slot in the vehicle... If so, that is very unfortunate.

roperld said:

Unfortunate for sure but predictable in my opinion......

The target demographic is for EZ transition from ice to EV, not early geek adopters, more of the country club set if you will.

Don't attract a lot of attention, preserve some of the ice features

MB has built an ICE like vehicle. It looks like an ice, not funky leaf or i3!
I suspect it was a way to reassure an ICE driver to be comfortable with new technology
Just like my volt has a standard ICE like shifter when none was needed

2004 Prius owner and 2012 volt lease here
Both of course need the fob in the car and push button start

I agree it is disappointing to have to put a key in the car

Having test drove the Tesla (MB has the Tesla soul) the car simply turns itself on when you are in the car with a fob!

Back